“All over the world the wildlife that I write about is in grave danger. It is being exterminated by what we call the progress of civilisation” Gerald Durrell.
Continuous human habitation for over 6, 000 years has taken its toll on Connemara, particularly its flora and fauna. The aim of the Connemarian is to form an umbrella body for people who are interested in preserving its ecology and transforming the region back to its former glory.
Long term projects such as this require dedication and hard work and the aim of the Connemarian will be to enlist volunteers and report on the progress, or lack thereof, as projects are identified and implemented. As with all living things, it will never end, and so a structured environment is required to ensure continuity and longevity. Envisioning involvement from both residents and non-residents of Connemara communication and co-ordination will be paramount.
We believe that the importance of establishing “green lungs” where nature can regenerate and thrive without hindrance are critical to our survival. Equally as important is the survival of local communities and creating a symbiotic realtionship between the two: nature and humans. The Connemarian will seek out ways to:
- ensure the fantstic flora and fauna of the region is preserved and proactively encouraged and where possible re-introduced.
- ultilise this asset for the benefit of local communities by creating a direct link between ecological presevation and restoration to economic advancement and prosperity.
- recruit and reward volunteers and benefactors for their generosity.
- encourage repeat visits to Connemara and involment for non-local parties, “city members” if you like.
- continously promote the region and keep all interested up dated on happenings and successes.
- pro-actively encourage and support indigenous businesses.
If you are interested in becoming involved, let us know – many hands make light work! Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us how you would like to be involved.