Cycling the Wild Atlantic Way, Connemara & Aran Islands, 5 Days Self Guided
This wonderfully scenic cycling tour is a short self-guided trip for couples, friends, or small groups who wish to enjoy some of the highlights of this wild and rugged area of the Wild Atlantic Way. The trip takes in the stunning scenery of Connemara as well as an overnight stay on the very unique island of Inishmore, the biggest of the Aran Islands. Stay 2 nights in the colourful market town of Clifden, often labelled the metropole of Connemara. Here you will find loads of pubs with live traditional Irish music The tour is suitable for riders of all levels and even families, route options are available for more avid cyclists.
- Scenic rural cycling through the south Connemara countryside
- The cliff top fort of Dun Aengus on Inishmore
- Sharing the lanes with pony carts on Inishmore island
- Learn about the Aran knitting patterns
- Visiting Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Garden
- A short walk and you visit the ruins of Clifden Castle
- Sublime views along the Sky Road, outside Clifden
Price includes: (per person sharing)
- 4 nights Bed & Breakfast (guesthouse) (hotel upgrade available on request)
- Luggage transfer (Luggage transfer from Oughterard to Clifden – supplying pannier bags to take overnight requirements for the island)
- Bike rental (24/27 gear hybrid touring bicycle, tandems available)
- Personal meet and greet
- Detailed itinerary including:
route maps, cue sheets and written directions
directions to and contact details for accommodations
information about en route attractions and interest sites
details of en-route services including suggested refreshment stops
information about trailhead town, staging towns and destination town
suggestions for evening meals and for evening entertainment
- Trip preparation information
- Accommodation upgrade available as additional extra
- Single supplement available for €151.00 as an additional extra
- Guide for 5 days available as additional extra. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Available everday mid April to mid October
- *As vehicles cannot travel on the ferry you will take what you need overnight in pannier bags that are supplied. Your luggage will travel from Oughterard to Clifden.
- Minimum number of persons required for this tour to proceed: 2
- Subject to availability and terms and conditions. Please see our website www.connemarawildescapes.ie for more information and details.
Please contact email@example.com for more information on the above.
Day 1: Arrive in Oughterard
Stay the night in guesthouse. We will meet you and adjust the bicycle for you as well as give you an induction to the days ahead. If there is time short cycle along Lough Corrib.
Day 2: Oughterard – Rosaveal – Aran Islands (28km (18mls) climb 350m plus extra on the island)
Cycle to the ferry port of Rossaveal to catch the ferry (ticket not included) to the island of Inishmore, the biggest of the Aran Islands. The route brings you on a very quiet back road onto a plateau of bogs, moorland, lakes and forests. There are stunning views back over lake Corrib and then onto the Atlantic. The ferry crossing takes about 50min and the rest of the day is spent exploring the island by bicycle and on foot. Highlights include the cliff top fort of Dun Aengus, the Seven Churches and the coast road to the west of the port village of Kilronan. The island is famous for the knitwear that bears the Aran name.
Day 3: back to Rossaveal by ferry – Clifden (ca 58km (36mls) climb 254m longer option available)
After a morning spent exploring the island further and perhaps visit the fantastically located Black Fort (a 3,000 year old promontory fort), you take the ferry back to Rossaveal at noon. You will be heading north into Connemara proper. There are great views towards the Twelve Bens (the 12 mountains at the centre of the Connemara National Park). Turning west you ride across the peat bogs (where you can watch peat digging in progress) to Cashel and across another Bog Road to Clifden. This colourful small town is often labelled the metropole of Connemara. Here you will stay for the next 2 nights, and you may enjoy traditional Irish music in its pubs.
Day 4: Clifden – Kylemore Abbey – Clifden (ca 59km (36mls) climb 535m longer option available)
Cycle to Kylemore Abbey, where you may like to visit this beautiful house, the neo-gothic chapel and the restored 8 acre Victorian walled garden. Return to Clifden along the coast of Cleggan and Claddaghduff. For strong riders an extra loop around the Sky Road will make this an unforgettable day.
Day 5: Departure
Breakfast, followed by departure to Galway for extra days or for your onward journey. There are regular bus connections between Clifden and Galway.
End of your cycle safari and hope to see you back in Connemara soon to do another Wild Atlantic Way tour!