Guided walking & cultural history day tour of Padraic Pearse’s Cottage & Derrigimlagh in Connemara
Discover three fascinating sites of international historical significance walking the wild and rugged landscapes of breathtakingly scenic Connemara, with a local tour and walking guide. These sites are combined into two new Signature points on the Wild Atlantic Way route.
The first Signature point is Pearse’s Cottage at the Connemara Cultural Centre in Rosmuc. Patrick Pearse was one of the leaders of the 1916 Rising. This Signature point is situated in a Gaeltacht area in Connemara, where you can still hear the Irish language spoken today. Take a looped walk with our local guide to explore the fascinating history, culture and landscapes of this area.
Then break for lunch at your own cost at a local eatery, sampling freshly made local foods.
Travel onto the second Signature point of Derrigimlagh, which combines two sites of historical importance – this is where Marconi set up the world’s first permanent transatlantic radio station and Alcock and Brown were the first pilots to fly non-stop across the Atlantic, before crash landing (safely) in Derrigimlagh bog. Take another guided looped walk with our local guide to explore this well interpreted area.
Travel back with an optional stop in the market town Clifden-known as the ‘capital’ of Connemara or take the very scenic drive up Sky Road, just outside Clifden.
Included in this package per person(minimum group size 8 pax):
- Guiding services of a local qualified walking and tour guide for both Wild Atlantic Way Signature points for the duration of the day including looped walks of approx 1-2 hours at two separate venues
- Entrance fees into Connemara Cultural Centre (Padraic Pearse’s cottage and interpretation centre
Costs not included in this package:
- Transport (costs available on request)
- Lunch (costs available on request)
- Available everyday 17 March to end November
- Minimum number of person for this offer :8
- Group discount applies for 10 or more people
- Own transport required to meeting point and between Signature points
- Subject to availability and terms and conditions. Please see our website www.connemarawildescapes.ie for more information and details.
Please contact email@example.com for more information on the above.
09h00-10h00 : Own transport to Pearse’ Cottage & Interpretation centre- A Wild Atlantic Way Signature Point via the coast road overlooking Galway Bay
10h00 : Arrive at Pearse’ Cottage & Interpretation centre – Meet and greet your guide for the day
10h00 -12h30 : Guided visit of Pearse’ Cottage & Interpretation centre and guided looped walk
12h00- 13h00 : Own transport to lunch venue
13h00-14h00 : Lunch at local eatery
14h00 -14h30 : Own transport to Derrigimlagh – A Wild Atlantic Way Signature Point
14h30 -17h00 : Guided visit of Derrigimlagh & Interpretation centre and guided looped walk.
17h00 – 18h30 (can include short visit to Clifden /drive up Sky road- add an additional 30 minutes= 17h00 – 19h00)
Own transport back to Galway city/other location via the village of Oughterard