Protecting the natural beauty...
The wilderness region of Connemara in the west of Ireland is considered a prime wildlife conservation area in Ireland, considered to be important on a European as well as Irish level. The legal basis on which special Areas of Conservation (SACs) are selected and designated is the EU Habitats Directive, transposed into Irish law in the as amended in 1998 and 2005. The Directive lists certain habitats and species that must be protected within SACs. Irish habitats include raised bogs, blanket bogs, turloughs, sand dunes, machair (flat sandy plains on the north and west coasts), heaths, lakes, rivers, woodlands, estuaries and sea inlets. The 25 Irish species which must be afforded protection include Salmon, Otter, Freshwater Pearl Mussel, Bottlenose Dolphin and Killarney Fern.
Connemara Wild Escapes is in the process currently establishing another voice for conservation in the form of ‘The Connemarian’. ‘The Connemarian’ is a charity that works for a better world for ALL water, land and air wildlife for the benefit of Connemara’s organisms. This will be achieved by the creation and implementation of a successful economy based on the primary industry of conserving flora and fauna wildlife and their environments.
Connemara Wild Escapes passionately believes that:
- Conservation of biodiversity is a moral imperative
- The health of wild life populations reflects the health of the planet and we can each play our part no matter how big or how small
- All wildlife enriches people’s lives
- It is an economic necessity for this region of Ireland
Connemara Wild Escapes will contribute a portion of each of their packages sold to ‘The Connemarian’ to assist with the conservation efforts in the region.
‘The Connemarian’, with your support, undertakes:
- Will inspire the public to support conservation of the natural world in Connemara
- Will, in conjunction with other various institutional bodies et al, research problems and promote realistic solutions
- Establish, manage and maintain more nature reserves in Connemara for the benefit of all
- Will champion the environment to decision-makers through advocacy and campaigning
- Will work with a wide range of partners to deliver wildlife conservation
- Will identify and work internationally through a global partnership of like minded conservation organisations
- Will share our enthusiasm and knowledge to help as many people as possible enjoy Connemara’s natural world.